Wednesday 5 January 2011

Vive la difference!

Ah, the sound of the harpsichord.  Is it the Marmite of the instrument world?  Either you love it or you hate it.  Me,  I love it.  Not sure about my wife.  I think that she can take the sound of the harpsichord in small, measured doses.  This is a pity because I acquired some years ago a box set of the complete Scarlatti harpsichord sonatas played by Scott Ross and I haven't yet worked my way through all 34 cds.  Not that she is to blame for this.  It all has to do with mood, the right time and the right place, but also momentum I suspect.  Once you lose the head of steam you've built up listening to a boxed set of something - or watching a boxed set of dvds - it's easy to lose track of what you have and haven't listened to - or watched.  Some people I know make little pencil marks on the sleeve but this is something I could never do.  I tend to be a tad anal about my cds, their cute plastic boxes (brittle plastic though they often are), liner notes, and so on. Thankfully I'm not counting my 2011 resolutions but here is another one: to finish listening to the Scarlatti sonatas aforementioned, plus the Haydn string quartets, Shostakovitch symphonies, etc.  Ditto with 'The West Wing', 'Seinfeld', 'The Sopranos'.  The complete Larry David I have already watched several times over, much to the irritation of my wife who enjoys it about as much as getting a root canal fixed.  Watching Larry David is something she doesn't enjoy even a little bit.  Funny that.  Doesn't make us incompatible though.  Seems to me couples claim they are incompatible only when they no longer have the energy or will to make their relationship work.  Imagine the horror of two people who enjoyed and disliked exactly the same things all of the time.  Too freaky for me.  I don't like Marmite, my wife does.  Vive la difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment