Monday 24 January 2011

Sleep tight

I was very disturbed to learn that bedbugs smell of coriander.  Well, according to Dr Lou Sorkin of The American Museum of Natural History they do.  This is a source I trust and the olfactory reference has now stuck in my brain like a, er, bad smell.  It is no good now reading that the smell of bedbugs has also been compared to a sickly sweet or musty smell, the aroma of ripe raspberries, or even that the smell probably results from bedbug sexual pheromones.  If anything, that is even more disturbing.  At one time, any time before The Second World War in fact, people would recognise and be able to identify the smell of bedbugs because they were so common.  They could then take the necessary steps to eradicate the little buggers.  Ironically because bedbugs are now much less common, although making a significant comeback in some urban areas, people neither recognise the warning signs nor possess the knowledge necessary to eradicate an infestation.  I think I knew they sucked human blood but it's information that  I wish I didn't have, especially since it's almost time for bed.  Eek!

No comments:

Post a Comment