Sunday 16 January 2011

Parmesan wars

Everyone knows that when the Great Fire of struck London in September 1666, Samuel Pepys risked life and limb to rescue his precious Parmesan cheese wheel from the larder and had it buried safely in his garden.  My older son knows this story.  I've told him that Parmesan is the single most expensive ingredient that we have in the kitchen (if you ignore the saffron and dried Porcini mushrooms).  But still when he makes pasta for himself he will insist on shaving enormous quantities of the stuff onto his meal.  Worse, he leaves small piles of expensive Parmesan shavings on the worktop (which I then scoop up and eat, following my mother's mantra of 'waste not, want not') He clearly considers my frugality with Parmesan as just one more of his father's quirks, but I do have a point I think.  Certainly Samuel Pepys would agree with me.  What is even more annoying about these father / son disputes is that he is at all times insufferably polite, restrained and wholly rational in the arguments he deploys to great effect against me.  More often than not I end by conceding some or all of the points he is making.  Which is why I am resolute in my stand against his Parmesan profligacy.  The Parmesan War is one that I am determined I shall win.

No comments:

Post a Comment