Monday 21 February 2011

Ogden Nash

I first became aware of Ogden Nash on a cassette tape version of Prokofiev's Peter and the Wolf with Hermione Gingold narrating and the Vienna Philharmonic providing the music, conducted by Karl Bohm (whose LP box set of Beethoven Symphonies I received for my 16th birthday).  The filler was Saint-Saens' Carnival of the Animals, enlivened by Nash's wonderfully acerbic verses.  And I just love this poster.  But who listens to cassette tape versions of anything these days?  Well, me for one.  I still have a Sony machine and hundreds of tapes, although the amount of wow and flutter seems to increase at an alarming rate when I play them now.  I'm sure there is a technical reason for this, but c'est la vie.  As they die on the cog wheels of the tape deck the cassettes are ceremoniously unspooled and binned without regret. I never did take to them and only persisted in buying cassettes because they were cheaper than the newly arrived cds.  Yet another false economy it seems, even when the cost ratio comparison of cassette versus cd was better than 2:1.  As a postscript, the Hermione Gingold recording was bought by my wife and buying music of any kind is still a rare event for her.  I wonder why?

No comments:

Post a Comment