Saturday 26 February 2011

The baldy bloke

Our son tells us that customer service in Germany is inherently different to customer service in the UK.  Not so fawning.  Longer eye contact. Can't say I've noticed but it's an interesting thought.  On this morning's shopping jaunt in town I was certainly struck by the warm and friendly manner of the various shop assistants I spoke to.  Most especially the lovely young lady in a charity shop who had me laughing out loud listening to her instruct an elderly volunteer on the use of the electronic payment card machine. 'Now', she said, 'Ask the gentleman nicely for his card.'  Meaning me.  And when I smiled and said that it was good to be called a gentleman, she said, 'Well, I could have said that bloke with the glasses.'  Then, at the end of the transaction, which had taken some time to complete, she delivered a devastating smile, a wink, and said to the volunteer, 'Now give that bloke with the baldy patch his receipt.'  What could I do?  I roared with laughter.  Now that's what I call customer service - make 'em leave with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment