Sunday 20 February 2011

hooded beauty

Define beauty - and no, it is not in the eye of the beholder.  How craven an answer is that.  No, my definition is an adaptation of one that I came across recently.  Beauty in my lexicography is now something that combines aesthetic pleasure with grace, something that 'charms the intellectual or moral faculties' (as my Shorter Oxford would have it) that is also elegant in form, elegant in movement and - when speaking of a person - of kind character.  The 'water drop' (courtesy of a Google search) meets those criteria.  A further refinement would insist that beauty is temporary, fleeting and here too the water drop merits the accolade.  I'm not entirely sure about the 'hooded beauty' below (also courtesy of Google), but it is such an arresting image I chose to include it.  And here I also choose to contradict myself because it is suddenly apparent that my reaction to these images, as to all works of art, is entirely personal, subjective, and a product of my own social and cultural environment.  So that yes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  How could it not be?

1 comment:

  1. Do you know who have taken the photo of the hooded beauty.?

    ReplyDelete