Tuesday 22 February 2011

A learned rabbi

There's an old Jewish joke about a man searching for the meaning of life.  He travels for hundreds of miles in search of a famous and  learned rabbi.  The man climbs mountains and fords rivers.  He gets sick and almost dies.  Eventually after many years travelling he finds the learned rabbi and asks, 'Rabbi!  What is the meaning of life?'  And the rabbi says, 'Come back a week Tuesday.  God didn't tell me yet.' 

Actually, it's not an old Jewish joke at all, I just made it up.  Which is to say it might be an old joke surfacing from my sub-conscious but I didn't copy it directly.  And I quite like it.  It's not a great joke, but it's an ok joke.  Maybe I should start writing jokes for a living.  Then again, maybe not.  At least with my current job I get  a pension.

No comments:

Post a Comment